Do I need to be a STEM major to participate in the project?
Yes. You must major in Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, or Physics. You must also either:
- Double Major in Secondary Education or
- Choose Education as a minor
- Have earned a STEM Bachelor’s degree and intend on enrolling in a post Bachelor’s teacher certification program at UL Lafayette.
What are the minimum qualifications for the project?
- Preferred GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be a mathematics, biology, physics or chemistry major and a full-time student.
- Must be a junior or senior (Math majors must have passed Cal II or above; BIOL majors must have passed Genetics or above)
- Must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien
What are the teaching requirements for the program?
- Recipients of stipend must commit to completing two (2) years of service as a mathematics or science teacher in a high-need school district for each year the scholarship is received. Service must be completed within eight (8) years after graduation. Note: Our partner districts, Lafayette Parish Schools and Iberia Parish Schools, both meet the high needs criteria; in fact, nearly all school districts in Louisiana meet the criteria.
- Recipients must sign a contract agreeing to repay the awarded total should the teaching requirements go unfulfilled.
How do I apply?
- Potential scholars can apply only at ullam3.com . Students seeking support can apply at anytime. Select applicants will be interviewed within two weeks of applying.
How many stipends will be available for Spring 2016?
- The project will award up to ten stipends valued at $11,500. Funds will be dispersed in installments during the Spring and Summer sessions.
Are Freshman and Sophomore STEM majors eligible?
- Freshmen and Sophomore STEM majors may participate in the STEMS2 Mini Summer Internships. These two-week endeavors will allow participants to work with Master Teachers for one week in a camp designed to further challenge high potential middle school students. Participants will also take a non-credit seminar course in higher level STEM areas. Participants will receive a $1000 stipend for their participation (Note: Mini internship will be completed prior to UL Lafayette’s 2016 summer school session).